Dating back to its founding on August 29, 1879, the Louisiana Boat Club was considered one of the oldest rowing clubs in New Orleans. After incorporating under charter in 1883, the Louisiana Boat Club made a name for itself. In 1894, the Louisiana Boat Club won thirteen out of sixteen medals offered at the championship regatta.
In 1880, the Orleans Rowing Club, started in 1873 by men who worked the cotton press, shuttered its boathouse; however, many of its old members formed the West End Rowing Club, fully incorporated in May 1890. The West End Rowing Club boasted some of the finest oarsmen and won championships in 1896, 1897, 1898.
At a regatta in Pensacola in 1898, the Crescent Rowing Club morphed into a new club called the Young Men’s Gymnastic Club’s Rowing Club (Y.M.G.C), an extension of the Young Men’s Gymnastic Club (Now known as the New Orleans Athletic Club). They had a two-story clubhouse on Bayou St. John and won the championship in 1899.